Collaboration (updated 7/17)

July 17, 2009 | misc

302378073_25bab61e2d_b

Newest from 7/2 from Tim and Patrick:

We tried something new tonight.  We chatted about the new song remotely and decided to record it.  Let us know what you think.

Conversation from 7/3 (click to listen)

previous updates below…

Collaboration (6/30)

This week we’re going to try something a bit different. Most weeks Tim and I send the song back and forth, each adding things to it, but this week we decided to let you be a part of the process.

So here’s a very boring acoustic guitar riff with a little keys and I’m calling this one redwine. Tim will mess with it and post his additions. Then I’ll play with it and send it back and so on. Sort of like tennis.

Your job: You all please feel free to give us input on what you like and what you don’t like, as well as any ideas you might have.  Cmon, it’ll be FUN!!! Just click to listen. (stop the player at the bottom first)

RedWine – Version 1

Edit from 7/1 from Tim:

Had a long day today so I only got to mess with it a little.  Not sure if I really like what I added or not, but we’ll see what I think of it in the morn.  I think I tend to agree with Kyle in thinking maybe no percussion but I went ahead and added a little loop along with some soft horns.  I think lyrics and melody could dictate which direction this one goes but I really like the simplicity and cleanness of it right now.

RedWine – Version 2

Edit from 7/17 from Patrick:

I sat down today and listened to the song after having not listened for almost 2 weeks…  I know, SLACKER.  But, I started writing a melody and some lyrics and after I was done I remembered that we actually talked about a direction for this song.  I had totally forgotten.  BUT the direction I took was remarkably close to what we talked about.  Who knows, we may scratch it and go with what Tim was thinking (at this point he hasn’t heard it yet).  I recorded a few lines of harmony and then reversed some of them and cut em up.  Kind of a cool effect, I think.  What do you think?

picture-1

Lonely Word – Version 3

photo taken from ziggy fresh

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • StumbleUpon
  • TwitThis

Comments (8)

1. Kyle Gach says:

I like the syncopation of it. Not often that I can say this, but I think adding any percussion would actually hurt the song.

2. Tim says:

Very nice Pack. I’ll be out all day today, but I’ll see what I can come up with. Its kind of cinematic in a way, like Forrest Gump or something.

3. Timothy Esau says:

I think a Cello would fit nicely

4. Samantha Ross says:

I like it.
    The piano seems a bit loud, the guitar sounds great and adding a bit of volume to that might make the sound a little more equal. If it doesn’t sound that way to you then it must be my speakers.

5. Patrick says:

Man, when you said horns that’s not what I imagined at all. Why haven’t we used that sound before now? I like it. I think it needs some sort of a bridge section too. Maybe a part with only the Horns and loop but with a different chord progression. This is fun! Also I agree, cello would be a nice addition!

6. Tim says:

as it stands I’m still on the fence about the loop, but I like the idea of maybe using it for a bridge of some sort. I like the clean, natural sound of the song right now and the loop kind of detracts from that.

7. David says:

I like the sound, but agree with patrick, perhaps a small break or bridge from the common syncopation. Also, when I listen to it I see something like traveling in a simple small town. All the little things you might not pay attention to or traveling along an old road that turns out pretty scenic. With that thought in mind, building it in the middle or crescendoing then fading out would be cool. Kind of like turning a corner in a simple day and seeing something. Just thoughts, hope they help

8. Patrick says: